Liberated Motherhood is an online community and learning platform, facilitated through a private membership Facebook group.
Why Liberated Motherhood?
Our experiences as mothers are shaped by the society we live within.
All of the ‘shoulds’, all of the expectations, all of the requirements that are placed on us, and that we place on ourselves.
We live by the social rules of motherhood, whether we recognize this or not.
This understanding of what being a ‘good mother’ means is embedded and formed within us, long before we become mothers ourselves.
We’ve been conditioned for a lifetime into this.
We’re sold a lie that perfection is not only possible, but that it is what we should be aiming for in order to live a fulfilled and happy life, and provide the same for our children.
Often unknowingly, we become caged.
We’re trapped by the standards we’ve adopted as our own, but that have actually been planted within us.
We’re led to believe that being a ‘mother’ means a certain way of being, experiencing, behaving, and feeling.
But then when we DO become mothers ourselves, there is often a collision between these ideals and our reality.
We recognise that we don’t ‘fit’. We can’t live up to the expectations.
This isn’t just YOU. This is often a collective experience.
You’re not alone
It can feel so isolating, so hard, so challenging, and so frustrating.
In so many ways, we’re trapped as mothers living within the social construction of perfect motherhood: we can’t do anything ‘right’.
We fall off the pedestal of perfect motherhood, feel guilt and shame, and then exhaust ourselves in trying to do better, take on more, and earn our worthiness.
This can be the cause of ongoing suffering in our mothering.
Because it will never be enough.
We were never MEANT to be ‘enough’ according to the expectations that have been placed on us, and that we place on ourselves, thinking it is best for our children.
Our love for our children is so deep – so complex – that we can lose ourselves within motherhood when we equate mother-love with the self-sacrificing image of the ‘perfect Mum’.
But we’re trying to live up to something that doesn’t exist.
Not only this, but even if it did exist – even if we COULD attain the ideals of perfection we’ve set for ourselves – it would not be what is ‘best’ for us OR our children. Decades of research has shown this.
Liberate from the cultural construction of perfect Motherhood
My work unveils the myth of perfect motherhood.
Showing that our children need connection, not perfection.
To offer this connection, we need to be us, in our authenticity.
When we reveal the ways that the social ‘shoulds’ affect our mothering, we start to really see. This is the start of how we can imagine being ‘free’ from our mothering constraints.
When we start to see how motherhood is about so much more beyond our individual stories, and there is a collective narrative and experience that connects us as mothers, that is when we unlock our potential.
We can unleash our power, collectively and individually.
Of course: we NEED social change. We need economic support and recognition. We need social policy change. We need cultural shifts. But it can start with us.
When you free yourself from the shackles of perfect motherhood, you pave a path, remove the roadblocks, and provide inspiration for your children and others to live an authentic and enriched life.
We can’t shift or change what we don’t acknowledge and SEE.
We were never meant to do this alone
Taking back your power and rewriting the rules of your motherhood, requires an understanding of, and a cultural detoxing from, the cultural myths of motherhood.
This is what I offer you as part of Liberated Motherhood.
But… empowered mothering doesn’t just require this understanding, and the introspective work we engage in ourselves.
I believe empowered mothering also requires being connected with community.
A group of other women who are mothers who ‘get it’.
Who share similar values.
Who can hold space for difference.
And know that when we lift each other up,
When we connect, listen, and tune in with others
We are enriched ourselves –
And this enrichment nourishes our families, and our society.
Does this speak to how you want to live your motherhood?
- Let’s recognize and cultivate mothering as our power, together.
- Let’s reinvigorate ourselves as women and mothers, together.
- Let’s free ourselves from the chains of perfect motherhood, together.
- Let’s show our children what it means to live as enlivened women, together.
- Let’s transform ourselves and our world, by coming together.
“The norms were created by somebody, and each of us is somebody. We can make our own normal. We can throw out all the rules and write our own. We can build our lives from the inside out. We can stop asking what the world wants from us and instead ask ourselves what we want for our world. We can stop looking at what’s in front of us long enough to discover what’s inside us. We can remember and unleash the life-changing, relationship-changing, world-changing power of our own imagination.”Glennon Doyle, Untamed.
What does a Liberated Motherhood Membership mean?
- You’re within a private Facebook group with other like-minded women, led by me.
- I run weekly Live workshops
- We have monthly Zoom calls where we connect with each other and share our reflections for the month
- Group presentations by guest experts
- An #askmeanything thread where you drop your questions for me to answer on what you’re currently challenged by in your motherhood
- A space to share YOUR reflections of mothering, relationship, self, and identity
- Evidence-based information and links to reading where relevant
- Connect with a community of like-minded mothers
- Information shared is informed by a matricentric feminist perspective, with a combination of conscious, responsive, good-enough-mothering, and gentle parenting paradigms.
- Access to discounted 1:1 support packages with me
- Membership is $10 for the first month, and $33 a month thereafter.
- Cancel your paypal subscription anytime. No obligations, no contracts, no pressure.
- Sign up below and I will email you a welcome and link to join our group